about Jeff Spencer and Spencer Solutions LLC,
In 2012, I accepted a retirement incentive package from my employer
of 13 years. I decided that I would continue my career by providing
services directly to small and medium size businesses. My goal is to
develop strong, mutually beneficial relationships with a select
group of clients. By staying small and focused I can economically
deliver high-value services to my customers.
- Strong background in enterprise architecture and
application development including messaging, Java application
servers, directory services and content management.
- Experience with development methodologies including RUP,
ESSUP and waterfall.
- Focus on web application security including architecture,
risk assessment, testing and mediation.
- Practical experience with service integration including
electronic payments, insurance scoring, document management.
- Skilled in technology and software requirements
development, selection and contracting.
- History of being a team player and successful delivery of
large-scale IT projects.
American Modern Insurance Group / Munich Re North America -
Cincinnati, Ohio, 6/1999 - 9/2012
American Modern, a subsidiary of Midland-Guardian grew from
around $500 million to nearly $1 billion in 2007. The company was
acquired by Munich Re in 2008. From 2000 on I was a charter member
of the modernLINK on-line web initiative which was a key part of the
growth strategy. The initiative involved modernization of core
policy, print, and producer management systems.
Enterprise Architect - 4/08 - 9/12 major accomplishments
- Developed and maintained conceptual, logical and technical
- Developed and maintained business technology roadmaps with
particular focus on Claims and Commercial units.
- Guided selection and implementation of platforms, tools
and practices required to support business units.
- Collaborated with other Munich Re subsidiaries to select a
single claims processing platform to replace existing custom
- Architected a Java-based web portal for Commercial clients
leveraging assets developed for Personal lines.
- Drove selection and implementation of RSA Data Security
Manager for payment account data tokenization as part of an
overall PCI compliance solution .
- Developed multi-year roadmap for high-availability,
scaleability and reliability advancement.
- Provided Security Architecture for compliance with Secure
Software Development Lifecycle standards including requirements
development, design, construction, deployment, testing and
- Collaborated with Security and Network and Application
Administrators to develop specifications for the configuration of
network devices, application servers, web servers and supporting
infrastructure applicable to P & C Insurance including
Application Architect, Application Designer/Developer - 6/99
- Hired as a Lotus Notes Architect and was responsible for
system architecture, configuration, applications, e-mail and
- Began work on the Java-based modernLINK web application
initiative in 2000, designing and coding security authentication
and authorization modules.
- Continued with modernLINK as application architect for the
next decade as we rolled out additional lines of business and
functionality, introducing EJB's web services MQSeries and other
- Trained in WebSphere Application Server architecture and
configuration with particular focus on security
Prima - Norstan Consulting 1997 - 1999
Working as a consultant gave me experience in a variety of
customer environments. I also provided mentoring and leadership for
less experienced consultants.
IT Consultant and Branch Groupware Partner
- Lotus Notes Enterprise Deployment Plan development -
Celina Group Insurance
- CCMail to Lotus Notes Conversion planning and execution -
- Annual Budgeting process application development -
- Application development and deployment environment
configuration and support - Bank One Financial Card Services
- Cinergy-Cincinati Bell Joint-use application development
- Lotus Notes infrastructure and application development
consulting - The Midland Company
Cincinnati Bell 1985 - 1997
During my career at Cincinnati Bell, I was exposed to many new
and exciting technologies. I was involved in the business
transformation of the company as we moved from dedicated systems to
networked PCs. I transitioned from Public Relations to Operations to
Information Technology during my 13 year career.
- Lotus Notes Implementation Team Leadership
- Application requirements analysis and development/support
Associate Manager - Creative Services, Operations
- Managed and provided services including audio-visual
production, photography, typesetting, word processing and document
management. 5 direct reports.
- Performed system administration and development for an
on-line document system.
- Provided support for executive communications including
board and annual shareholder meetings
Owner, Spencer Productions 1984 - 1985
- Audio Visual Production and Staging Services
Audio Visual Producer, ImageMatrix 1981 - 1983
- Audio Visual Production and Staging Services
Scripps Howard-Lighthouse Productions 1979 - 1981
- Audio Visual Photography, Production and Staging Services.
Managed and provided Photography and Photolab services. 3 direct
Lawrence Zink Inc. 1977 - 1979
- Provided Photography and Photolab services for design and